LEARNING AT SCHOOL:
Information for parents and carers about learning at Second Level
When your child is in P5, P6 or P7 we say that they are learning at Second Level. For some children learning at this Level can be earlier or later. Part of our learning at school is about relationships, being safe, growing up, their bodies and what we call the baby’s story and being a parent. This is part of our Health and Wellbeing learning called Relationships, Sexual Health and Parenthood education. Here are the main things we learn about:
When it comes to relationships children learn about:
- What makes then unique and what makes people alike and what makes us different (diversity)
- Making and having friends
- Being a boy and a girl, and that they can be any kind of boy or girl they want to be
- Loving relationships and being attracted to others
- Respect for others and the importance of being kind – in our face-to-face relationships and online.
When it comes to being safe children learn about:
- Social media and being safe and smart online
- Feeling safe and unsafe
- Different kinds of abuse and neglect that can happen to a child
- What we mean by consent
- Who they can go to for help and support.
When it comes to growing up and learning about their body children learn about:
- Making choices and decisions
- Looking after their body and keeping clean
- Puberty and how the bodies and emotions of both girls and boys change as they grow
- What ‘having sex’ is and about contraception and condoms.
When it comes to ‘the baby’s story’ and being a parent/carer children learn about:
- How a baby is made (conception)
- Pregnancy and how a baby is born
- Being a parent and thinking about what kind of parent they would be.
How do we learn at school?
Children at this age are curious. They are really interested in how people get on, learning about their bodies and will have questions about sex. While learning at school is important they are also very dependent on their parents and carers to look after them, love and care for them and help them learn behaviours and values for life. At school we will use conversations, games, drawing and story books to support learning about health and wellbeing. You can find out more about the learning activities we use on this national resource: https://rshp.scot/second-level/