Early Learning and Childcare – Focus Group Events for Parents and Carers
ELC Settings in Aberdeen City by ASG (revised)
Dear Parents and Carers,
Aberdeen City Council –Expansion of Early Learning and Childcare in Aberdeen – Focus Group Events for Parents and Carers
Following our recent survey on the Expansion of Early Learning and Childcare (ELC) in Aberdeen, and in advance of the implementation of 1140 hours of funded ELC from August 2020, Aberdeen City Council Early Years Team have now organised a series of Focus Group Events for Parents and Carers.
Focus Groups will be held in Associated School Groups (ASGs) as follows:
Date ASG Venue for Focus Group
- Monday 20 January Aberdeen Grammar ASG Mile End Community Centre – Rooms 3 and 4
- Tuesday 21 January Hazlehead ASG Hazlehead Primary School – After School Club Room
- Wednesday 22 January Bucksburn and Dyce ASGs and Orchard Brae School Bucksburn Academy – Assembly Hall
- Monday 27 January Northfield ASG Manor Park School – Community Room
- Tuesday 28 January Bridge of Don and Oldmachar ASGs Bridge of Don Academy – Assembly Hall
- Wednesday 29 January St Machar ASG St Machar Academy – Assembly Hall
- Monday 3 February Lochside ASG Kirkhill Primary School – Main Hall
- Tuesday 4 February Harlaw ASG Kaimhill Primary School – Dining Hall
- Wednesday 5 February Cults ASG Cults Primary School – Dining Hall
Each Focus Group Event will start at 6.30pm and end at 8.00pm and will include:
- Welcome / Overview of Early Learning and Childcare (ELC) Expansion in Aberdeen / Survey Results
- Update on ELC Admissions (which will open from 27 January to 7 February)
- Outline of options and models of Early Learning and Childcare in each Associated School Group (ASG)
- What 1140 hours of Early Learning and Childcare may look like for you?
- Q&A – An opportunity to ask the Early Years Team questions, for example on funded entitlement, meals, opening and closing times etc.
Early Learning and Childcare Locality Lead Officers from each Associated School Group (ASG) will be present at their respective Focus Group Events. If you are unable to attend your local Focus Group Event you are more than welcome to attend another one.
For details of which Local Authority and Funded Provider Early Learning and Childcare settings and childminders are in each ASG, please see attached.
An ELC Parent Leaflet is also attached/below for your information.
We hope you will be able to join us for one of our Focus Group Events.
Service manager – Early Years
Early Learning and Childcare in Aberdeen is changing!
ELC Settings in Aberdeen City by ASG
Aberdeen City Council is committed to offering high quality, flexible Early Learning and Childcare (ELC) for all three and four year olds and eligible two year olds. Early Learning and Childcare is about learning and development through play, exploring and most importantly – having fun!
What is changing?
From August 2020 the Scottish Government is increasing the number of funded hours your child can access from 600 to 1140, you can also use your funded hours in a more flexible way.
The increase to 1140 hours means around 30 hours per week during school term time or around 22 hours if taken through the year. Parents/Carers do not have to use the full entitlement.
Where can I access ELC hours?
From August, any provider who meets the new National Standard and who has a contract with Aberdeen City Council can offer funded hours. Hours can be offered at:
o Local Authority ELC Settings
o Private ELC Settings
o Gaelic Provision
o Outdoor Provision
The biggest change is the way you can use your funded hours – there is now much more flexibility.
Your child may be able to access:
o Full days
o Part days
o Term time
o Up to 50 weeks per year (depending on which provider you choose)
o More than one provider (for example a Private Nursery and Childminder)
When do I apply?
Application forms will be available in schools and online (www.aberdeencity.gov.uk) from 27th January 2020. The full Early Learning and Childcare Admissions Policy and further information on the application process online at the same time.
As each setting will offer a different model of provision – full details of which will be published nearer application time – we encourage all parents/carers to check the availability of hours in their area.